Wednesday 20 January 2010

Blog Breakthrough

I think this is how I add to my blog. Try it anyway...
Am having a hard time deciding where to send my stories, (i.e. which magazines would like to look after them for a few months, then send them back). Bought some magazines, and read all the stories in them, but one was My Weekly, which is now apparently 'closed', for the 'foreseeable future' to persons like myself. This is a shame as one of my stories might have liked a spell with them ... (it enjoyed its recent sojourn at Womans Weekly, I think)
Have also been trying to work out whether stories currently entered in competitions can also be sent to magazines ... Can't find an answer to that, anywhere (but, then again, I couldn't find my own blog, again, all day today, so maybe it's me ...)
Went on the excellent Womagwriter blog again, and am coming to the conclusion that most people on it are proper writers, i.e. they regularly sell stories. Hope they don't mind my blundering around on it, looking at the info etc., which is all very useful and inspiring stuff.
Have to go and do the ponies, now, so no way I'm going to post anything off today (not with 10 mile drive to post office, as well).
Need to leave blog now - which is a shame as only just found it again ....
I wonder what will happen when I push the button ...? Hope it doesn't go somewhere it shouldn't ...

7 comments:

  1. Hello, Cadno. I'm a follower of Womag's blog and don't regularly sell stories, in fact I've only ever sold one, but it's definitely the best blog to follow for all the magazine guidelines and general hints, plus links to lots of other writers and blogs. I think it probably wouldn't be wise to submit stories that are already entered in competitions because a lot of competitions do seem to publish the winners/short-listed entries and you couldn't honestly say the story wasn't under consideration elsewhere - but more experienced writers may know better.

    Lots of luck with your blog.

    Kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi

    Well you got your blog post up, so that's good.

    I've only ever won one writing competition so far and am also trying to find homes for my other stories. So I'm definitely not a published writer as yet.

    The latest blog on womagwriter provides a link to current mags online and print who are looking for stories, so you may wish to have a look at that blog and click on the link.

    I don't know about sending a current printed story out to competitions. I know that most competitions would specify that stories entered are original and not published elsewhere so that may be true for stories published in magazines already.

    Why not ask at the womagwriter blog under comments? People there are very helpful!

    Take care and good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Kath and Old Kitty,
    Thanks ever so much for your comments on my blog-musings. I was pretty sure about the competition thing, but it was great to know your thoughts on it too. I'm so impressed with the womagwriter blog, and by all the people I've 'met' on it, including yourselves. I'm very isolated where I live and I barely meet any people in the course of a week, never mind any writers! It's good to know there are others out there, like me, and I'm sure all our aspirations will meet with success in the end :-) Good luck to you both and thanks again.
    All best
    Karla

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome, Karla. It is nice to know there are other writers at a similar stage to onself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Karla

    And good luck to you and best wishes with your writing. I look forward to reading your soon-to-be published stories!

    Take care

    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!
    Your post made me laugh, only because I was in exactly the same confused situation a couple of months ago, ie: couldn't find my own blog! I was in two minds whether to try blogging, it is sooo confusing at first! Then you get the feeling you're talking to yourself!! Which is always fun I find.
    I also follow Womagwriter, it's a brilliant blog, everyone on there is so helpful. I have only just sold my first story to People's Friend last Nov, (had 3 prompt rejections from them since that joyous day) and I'm in no way professional as you can probably tell : /
    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your comments back at my blog :)

    ReplyDelete